Measure’s Complete Text
Abbreviated Statement of Ballot Measure:
To continue protecting and preserving local parks; improving access to natural areas, open space, trails and recreational opportunities; keeping restrooms and facilities clean and safe; and maintaining, operating, acquiring and improving local parks, shall the Santa Clara County Park Charter Fund, established in 1972, be extended by an annual general fund transfer estimated to equal 1.5 cents per $ 100 of assessed valuation of all property for 15 years, without increasing taxes and all funds benefitting Santa Clara County parks?
Complete Text of the Charter Amendment:
(1) The existing Section 604 of the County Charter shall remain in full force and effect until midnight on June 30,2017, at which time subsections (2) through (6) of this section 604 below shall take immediate effect without further action.
(2) Beginning on July 1, 2017, the Board of Supervisors shall transfer from the general fund to the County Park fund an amount of money which shall not be less than an amount estimated by the Auditor-Controller to equal the amount that would be raised for that year by a tax of $0.015 per One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) of assessed valuation of all real and personal property situated within the County of Santa Clara. In addition, the Board of Supervisors shall transfer into such fund all fees and revenues generated by the operation of County Parks and all other monies received from the United States Government, State of California, or any other public agency or any person for County park purposes. Any interest earned on the investment of money in the County Park fund shall be credited to the fund.
(3) The Board of Supervisors shall appropriate this money into the County Park fund for the acquisition, development, or acquisition and development of real property for County park purposes and for the maintenance and operation of County parks. At least 10% of the funds transferred from the general fund shall be set aside and used for park development for County park purposes, and at least 10% of the funds transferred from the general fund shall be set aside and used for the acquisition of real property for County park purposes, and the remaining funds shall be used for County Park operations.
(4) The county shall not acquire real property for any County park purpose until the Board of Supervisors has determined that the acquisition is in conformity with the adopted County Parks and Recreation Element of the General Plan.
(5) This section shall be operative commencing with the fiscal year 2017 - 2018 (beginning on July 1, 2017) and shall be repealed at the end of fiscal year 2031 - 2032 (ending on June 30, 2032); provided, however, any unobligated monies remaining in the fund on June 30, 2032, shall be used only for the purposes set forth in subsection (3) of this section 604.
(6) The intent of this section 604 is to ensure that a minimum amount of money will be placed into the County Park fund for acquisition, development, operation and maintenance purposes. Nothing in this section shall be construed as a limitation on any additional amount of money the Board of Supervisors may transfer into the County Park fund for County park purposes or otherwise appropriate for County park purposes.